A Belgrade woman whose blood alcohol level tested more than four times the legal limit was jailed on May 22 after being involved in a hit-and-run crash in Bozeman, then driving to Belgrade on the interstate, according to court documents.

A Montana Highway Patrol trooper stopped the 43-year-old driver at the intersection of Alaska and East Frank in Belgrade at about 5:30 p.m. A number of people had called dispatchers to complain about the woman’s driving while she was traveling westbound on I-90, apparently after the hit-and-run accident on North Rouse and Mendenhall in Bozeman.

Court documents state that the woman, who has no prior record of driving under the influence, had slurred speech and watery eyes, performed poorly on field sobriety tests, and told the trooper she had been drinking. She at first refused a preliminary breath test, but later consented to one that measured her blood alcohol content at .325 percent.


A Belgrade man with six prior DUI convictions was arrested on Saturday for his seventh suspected DUI, after mightily resisting any kind of testing that would provide evidence of his guilt.

According to court documents, Lance Edward Sprout, 52, was arrested in Bozeman just after 7 p.m. A Bozeman Police officer was waiting for him in a turnout near Bozeman, after a caller reported that the driver of a blue Chevrolet truck was traveling westbound at speeds up to 95 mph on Interstate 90 toward Bozeman from Park County. The caller stated that the truck was not staying in its lane.

After the officer spotted the truck and noticed it weaving out of both sides of its lane, he stopped the truck driven by Sprout near the North 7th interchange. Court documents state that Sprout appeared to be inebriated and told the officer that he’d had “more than enough” to drink, but he refused to perform any field sobriety tests or take a breath test.

After receiving a warrant over the phone, the officer called an ambulance service to take a blood sample from Sprout. After being restrained, the report says Sprout “passively resisted” by tensing up and trying to pull away. Medics succeeded in obtaining a blood sample on the third try.

Sprout was taken to the Gallatin County Detention Center, where he was charged with aggravated DUI, fourth of subsequent offense, a felony. Court records state that further charges were expected to be filed.


 A Belgrade man who was taking a Sunday morning snooze in his truck near Norris and Visser roads had his nap interrupted when a Gallatin County Sheriff’s deputy arrested him on an outstanding arrest warrant and other charges.

According to court documents, a caller reported at about 10 a.m. that a man had been sleeping in the parked vehicle for at least two hours. The responding deputy woke the 24-year-old man, and discovered that there was a warrant for his arrest, that his driver’s license was suspended or revoked, and that he had a previous criminal conviction in March 2018. The man admitted that he was aware of the warrant.

The man was taken to the Gallatin County Detention Center and charged with driving with a suspended or revoked license, and as a habitual offender driving a motor vehicle. He was held on $1,320 bond on those charges, and an additional $2,585 bond for the outstanding warrant.


A 27-year-old Belgrade man was arrested Sunday night for bloodying his girlfriend’s nose after a verbal argument turned physical at their home.

According to court documents, the argument began when the woman refused to let the man borrow her truck. As it progressed, she later told officers, she slapped the man in the face, after which he hit her in the nose. She said after she was hit, she called her sister to pick up the couple’s two young children.

The man said the woman had hit him in the face 10 times, and then he slapped her face. Responding Gallatin County Sheriff’s deputies noticed that the man had bruising under his eye where he had been hit.

Court documents state that based on their assessment of the scene and the significant height and weight difference between the parties, deputies took the man to the Gallatin County Detention Center, where he was held without bond on a partner family member assault charge, first offense.


A Belgrade man who claimed he “would never lay a hand on” his girlfriend was jailed Sunday on an assault charge after she reported he had broken one of her ribs in a fight the night before.

The woman told her story to sheriff’s deputies on Sunday, the morning after she and the accused man had dined out and visited a couple of casinos in Belgrade. According to court documents, she said the man had first grabbed her arms in the parking lot of one of the casinos, and that officers noted bruises on her arms consistent with that story. She told officers that after the couple drove to their Belgrade home, the man said he was going to blow his head off while they were still in the car. She went to her own vehicle intending to leave, but then realized her keys were inside the house.

The woman said she had not wanted to enter the house because she feared what the man would do, but she did anyway. Once in the house, she told officers, the man cornered her, took her wallet and keys from her, and then “sucker punched” her on the left side of her body. She said she then locked herself in a bedroom, and escaped the house through a window. The woman showed deputies a report from Bozeman Health, stating that she had a fractured rib.

After hearing the woman’s complaint, deputies drove to the house and found the man mowing the lawn. He told them the woman had started an argument while she was drunk the night before. He theorized that she had fallen when she climbed out the window, and denied that he had hit her. While he was being transported to the Gallatin County Detention Center, he told deputies he had grabbed the woman by the arms because “she was freaking out and hit me,” and added that he had been injured in the face.

The man was held at the jail without bail on a charge of partner family member assault, first offense.


A man stopped for failing to use a turn signal and speeding in Gallatin Gateway landed in Gallatin County Detention Center early Saturday morning for those and numerous other charges, including felony driving under the influence.

According to court documents, a Montana Highway Patrol trooper 

stopped Wyatt Justin Dyksterhouse, 24, of Gallatin Gateway, after noticing him fail to use his signal and traveling 40 mph in a 25 mph zone on Elk Grove Lane. The trooper noticed a strong odor of alcohol coming from the vehicle. When asked why he had been speeding, Dyksterhouse said, “I think I’m drunk.”

The trooper’s report notes that there was an open can of Twisted Tea alcoholic drink in the car. While checking the status of Dyksterhouse’s license and registration, the officer learned that he had a revoked driver’s license, no vehicle insurance and a previous citation for the same, six previous DUI convictions, and that he was on probation requiring and interlock device that was not installed in the vehicle.

Dyksterhouse performed poorly on field sobriety tests, and refused to provide a breath sample. He was taken to the hospital in Bozeman, where a blood sample was taken.

He was booked into the Gallatin County Detention Center on seven citations: fourth or subsequent driving under the influence, no insurance, failing to use a turn signal, speeding, possession of an open alcoholic beverage container, failure to have an interlock device, and driving with a revoked license. Dyksterhouse’s probation officer was informed of his arrest.


A Belgrade man was arrested Sunday and charged with child endangerment for driving under the influence with a 6-year-old in his car.

The man was stopped by a Montana Highway Patrol trooper for traveling 30 mph in a 25 mph zone near East Main and South Sixth Street in Manhattan, shortly before 10 a.m. According to court reports, the 28-year-old driver appeared to be inebriated and admitted to drinking the night before.

After performing poorly on field sobriety tests, the man provided a breath sample that measured his blood alcohol content as .205. He was transported to Bozeman, where a blood sample was taken, and then booked into the Gallatin County Detention Center on the child endangerment charge, as well as for driving with a suspended or revoked license.


A Belgrade woman was arrested on an outstanding warrant in Bozeman Tuesday afternoon, and new charges of child endangerment and criminal possession of dangerous drugs were levied against her when she was booked into the county jail without bond.

According to court documents, Bozeman Police officers saw the 39-year-old woman’s vehicle pass them near the intersection of Stevens and North 19th in Bozeman. Because the car had come from the direction of known drug activity on nearby Sunnyside Trail, officers ran the license plate and learned that there was an outstanding arrest warrant for the registered owner. Officers stopped the car and confirmed that the driver was the wanted woman. They also noticed a man in the front passenger seat sitting with a backpack and mail box between his legs, and a child sitting in the back seat.

Based on his appearance, officers suspected the adult passenger to be under the influence of dangerous drugs. When they spoke with the driver, she told them that there were no illegal drugs in the car, and she refused permission for them to search the vehicle. She then made a comment in front of one of the officers about there being marijuana in the car.

A trained police dog alerted to the presence of drugs in the car, and the vehicle was secured and towed to a county facility, pending a search warrant. After the warrant was granted, officers found a jar containing marijuana, two marijuana pipes, $650 cash, a glass methamphetamine pipe and three jeweler’s baggies containing methamphetamine in the car. Court documents state that the bag containing the methamphetamine and pipe had been within reach of the child in the back seat.


A 21-year-old Manhattan man who had been previously warned to stay off the Manhattan Thriftway property was arrested Tuesday afternoon after using a weapon to shock a man in an altercation there.

According to court records, Manhattan Police Officer Rocky Hamilton responded to a report of an assault with a taser at the store on South Broadway Street. When he arrived at the Thriftway, Hamilton noticed the man believed to have used the weapon standing by his vehicle near the gas pump. Hamilton ordered him to stay out of the vehicle, but the man ignored him, got into the car, and drove away.

Hamilton interviewed the victim of the assault, and noted he had blood on his neck. The man told the officers that his assailant had driven into the Thriftway parking lot, pulled in front of another vehicle, slammed on his brakes and began yelling obscenities. The complainant said he had approached the man to as “what the deal was,” and that the man had then hit him with something that looked like a flashlight that shocked him.

While he was interviewing the victim, Hamilton noticed the assault suspect drive back onto the Thriftway lot more than once. Hamilton later saw the man sitting in his parked vehicle off store property. He talked to him at some length about the incident, then was joined by two Gallatin County Sheriff’s deputies and two Montana Highway Patrol troopers. The man refused to comply with orders to turn off the vehicle’s engine and get out of the car.

While the backup officers stayed with the man, Hamilton returned to the store, spoke with the manager and reviewed videotape of the incident. The manager told him that the man had previously been warned to stay off the property. Hamilton also called witnesses to the altercation earlier that evening.

The officers decided to remove the man from his vehicle, which he resisted. Once he was out of the car, Hamilton found a long, cylindrical object in the man’s coat pocket. It looked like a flashlight and was capable of producing an electric shock. Hamilton noticed that one of the contact points was bent.

Hamilton took the man to the Gallatin County Detention Center, where he was charged with felony assault with a weapon, obstructing a peace officer, resisting arrest and trespassing. He was held without bond due to the felony assault charge.