A 51-year-old Belgrade woman was arrested last week and charged with partner or family member assault after her attempts to elude trouble by hiding under a horse trailer and having her story corroborated by a bar bouncer failed.

According to court documents, authorities were called Tuesday, April 30, shortly after 9:30 p.m. by a party who heard an altercation between a man and woman at a home on Airport Road home in Belgrade. A few minutes later, the man who owned the home called police, saying he had been hit several times and that his female assailant was still on his property.

Gallatin County Sheriff’s deputies arrived at the residence a short time later, and interviewed the caller, who was bleeding from his nose and mouth. He stated that he and his assailant, who had just moved in with him that evening, had been at a bar earlier in the evening, but left after an unrelated bar altercation. He told officers that the woman yelled at him and began hitting him on the drive home because she was upset with him for getting into the altercation at the bar. He said he hit the woman with the back of his hand while he was driving because he was tired of being hit. After they arrived at his residence, he told deputies, the woman got out of his car and he didn’t know where she had gone.

Deputies searched for the woman, found her hiding under a horse trailer on the property, and noted that she had a small scrape along the right side of her nose. The woman told deputies that the man had yelled at her and pulled her out of his truck by her hair, and that she was hiding from him. She also stated that the man had sustained injuries during the bar altercation, and was injured and bleeding when they left the bar.

A deputy called the bar to speak with the bouncer who had witnessed the bar altercation, and he said that the man had not been injured when he left the business.

The woman was taken to the Gallatin County Detention Center and booked into the facility on the assault charge. A records check revealed that the woman was on probation, so she also was placed on probation hold, court documents said.


An encounter in the wee hours of May 3 between police and a 19-year-old Bozeman man believed to be suicidal and intoxicated, ended after a car chase over several miles between Bozeman and Belgrade at speeds up to 100 miles per hour, according to court documents.

Bozeman police responded to the initial call about a man threatening suicide, but after authorities determined he was traveling in his car outside the city limits, Gallatin County Sheriff deputies were called to assist. After some searching, police located the man driving north on Cottonwood Road and a pursuit ensued from there to Huffine Lane near Advance Drive, west to Four Corners, and then further west on Norris Road, at speeds up to 100 miles per hour. Police ended the chase, but soon noticed the driver return to the Four Corners area, where they attempted to stop him again. The man drove recklessly through the parking lot at Casey’s Corner, nearly hitting one officer’s patrol car, then headed north of Jackrabbit Lane with officers in pursuit.

The chase continued to Valley Center Road, east on Thorpe Road, then south almost to Hulbert Road. The man got out of the car and yelled for deputies to shoot him, but then got back into his car and tried unsuccessfully to provoke officers into following him.

Instead of chasing him, deputies contacted the man via phone. During their conversation, described in court documents as at times vulgar, the man ranted about being intoxicated and about the drugs he took. At one point, when he saw a sheriff’s vehicle, he drove across all lanes of traffic toward it in an attempt to cause the deputy to react.

Bozeman police finally took the man into custody, and noted that he appeared to be intoxicated. He was taken to Bozeman Deaconess Hospital, medically cleared for the jail, and then booked into the Gallatin County Detention Center and held without bond on charges of felony criminal endangerment.


A 25-year-old Whitehall man was jailed on charges of driving with a suspended license in Manahattan last Friday night.

Court documents state that the man was stopped by a sheriff’s deputy for driving 32 mph in a 25 mph zone on South Broadway in Manhattan, and for having a broken windshield. He told the deputy that his driver’s license was suspended, which dispatchers confirmed.

The man was booked into the Gallatin County Detention Center and held on $285 bond.