Convict in 1990 shooting of Brad Brisbin will serve at least 5 more years

The man convicted of killing another in a camper at Belgrade's Bairs truck stop in 1990 will spend at least another five years behind bars, the state parole board decided Monday.

The Montana Board of Pardons and Parole Monday refused to release Larry Moore, the first man convicted in Montana history for a murder in which the victim's body hadn't been recovered.

Moore, 63, is serving a 60-year sentence for the murder of former Belgrade High School teacher and Gallatin County sheriff deputy Brad Brisbin. He won't be eligible for parole again until November 2014, said Linda Moodry, a spokeswoman for the Montana Department of Corrections.

At a hearing at the Montana State Prison in Deer Lodge, the board denied Moore his freedom based on "strong opposition from the victim's family and law enforcement," Moodry said. The board also noted "his failure to accept responsibility."

Moore was convicted in 1992 in a case that became notorious as the state's first murder conviction based on DNA evidence.

Moore denied culpability in Brisbin's disappearance until the summer of 1995, when he led authorities to Brisbin's body near a gravel pit Moore once owned north of West Yellowstone. Moore disclosed the location of the remains and the .357-caliber revolver he shot Brisbin with as part of a plea agreement following a 1994 prison riot. In exchange for leading authorities to Brisbin's body, five federal charges for Moore's role in the riot at Montana State Prison were dismissed.

Moore shot Brisbin at close range inside a camper parked at Bairs (now Flying J) on Nov. 9, 1990. According to news accounts at the time, Moore suspected Brisbin of having an affair with Moore's wife.

Brisbin, 38, was the owner of the Silver Spur restaurant in West Yellowstone. From 1974 to 1978, he was a physical education teacher at Belgrade High. In 1978, he left teaching to become a deputy sheriff for Gallatin County.

In the days following Brisbin's disappearance, Moore told authorities various versions of events, including that the gun went off during Brisbin's botched suicide attempt and that he saw a distraught Brisbin leave the truck stop with a woman in a red sports car.

Investigators learned, however, that Moore had been hospitalized with a nervous breakdown over his belief that his estranged wife and Brisbin were having an affair.

Investigators found human brain tissue and blood in the camper and the brain tissue was later confirmed to be Brisbin's.

Read more on this story at